Most scientists agree that the Eastern coast of the Black sea is the most suitable for cultivation of hazelnut and that there we find the roots of its worldwide distribution. Self Turkish name hazelnut ‘Findik’ comes from the Greek word ‘Corylus’ that means ‘Black sea’.
In Georgian culture hazelnut was known from time immemorial. Historical evidence suggests that in VI. B.C. the local population in their gardens grew wild forms of hazelnut. In the future, for several centuries by means of folk selection were received better grades hazelnut, perfectly adapted to local conditions.
For Georgia hazelnuts had a high economic value and brought a lot of income to the population before the revolution of 1917. Georgia in large quantities exported hazelnuts in the EU countries, by hazelnut plantations were occupied 8-10 times more territory than in Soviet times. Situation began to change only in 1990s, when in coastal areas of Western Georgia began the rapid creation of new plantations and modern processing facilities.
In Georgia today are spread some of native varieties, the main ones are: Shveliskura, Berdznula, Anakliuri, Gulshishvela, Khachapura, Nemsa, etc
Native grades in Georgia have a number of advantages: – powerful root system of local varieties of hazelnut in sufficient quantities draws all the necessary components from the soil, and therefore, in Georgia, are almost not applied chemical fertilizers; – local varieties almost do not suffer from various diseases, and therefore in Georgia practically does not use pesticides. And it is no coincidence that the forest nut, cultivated on the territory of Georgia, much less pollution than permitted strict international sanitary standards.
Georgian varieties of hazelnut.
– this grade is found in all regions of Georgia, but among the varieties that are common in Megrelia and Abkhazia, both quantitatively and qualitatively occupies the first place. In Western Georgia Matures 15 – 20 July, while in the Eastern regions of Georgia 15 – 20 August. Husk longer than fetus, brown, easily removed from the shell, the fruit of a round and a bit flat, caliber 19-21, 21+, shell’s thickness 1.2 – 1.6. mm. Kernel is always fills the shell, average weight of 2.5 to 2.9, the Output from the kernel 48 – 52%, fat 67 – 69% Inquire Us NOW
– this grade walnut found throughout Western Georgia, but the greatest distribution it received in Guria and Samegrelo. “Berdznula”- is a high-yielding, rapidly growing varieties. The first harvest is produced in 3 years after planting, but reaching maximum levels in the 7-15 age group. The crop ripens in the end of July – beginning of August. One Bush gives an average of 5-10 kg of Fruit larger than the average size with beautiful colouring of light brown color, which is tightly fills the shell. The shuck is a bit more fruit. A ripe walnut husk comes off easily. Weight varies from 2.1 to 2.5, shell’s Thickness reaches up to 1,3 mm The output of the kernel 49-53%, fat 63-67%. Inquire Us NOW
– this variety by their taste and organoleptic data is one of the best in Georgia. “Ghulshishvela” widespread in both Western and Eastern Georgia, but the more he got used to the humid subtropical areas. In Guria, Western area distributed to the different varieties of walnut, but, by area “Ghulshishvela” occupies the first place. This grade walnut rapidly growing, Bush round and ramified, breeding begins in 3 years after planting, harvest generous – 1 Bush gives an average of 4.5 to 5 kg of This sort early breed can be harvested from the end of July – beginning of August. The husk of the fetus shorter walnut, on one side it almost to the end of the cut, which is what a large part of the fetus is not closed, why is this nut “Ghulshishvela”. The fruit of the average, Between 18-19-20. The shell is dark brown, medium thickness of 2.0 mm Weight walnut 2-2,1, Fruit good to fill the shell. The output of the kernel depends on climatic factors and varies between 48 – 52%. Fat fetus 63-67%. Inquire Us NOW
– mainly distributed in Guria, in areas Ozurgeti, Lanchkhuti, but in Western area it occupies a dominant role. In Megrelia it takes the second place and widely distributed in Western area, where it is called “Skveri”. Breeding begins in 3 years after planting. Harvest in Western Georgia ripen in mid-July, and in the conditions of Kartli (Eastern Georgia) later on 15 – 20 days. Variety of nuts is characterized by a rich harvest, the average yield per 1 Bush is 5-10 kg Husk longer walnut and wrinkled, it is easily removed from the fruit, the fruit of a round and a little , the basis of the flat, brown, from the base to the top of the marked strip thickness of 1 mm Fruit is always fills the shell. Average weight of fruit is 1.5, the Output of the kernel 49-52%, fat content more than 63%.
Homeland of hazelnut varieties Dedoplis titi is considered to be the ancient Colchis where they spread in Abkhazia, in Eastern Georgia, Crimea and in the area of Adler. In Ozurgeti area called nuts Akaki. Stem nut average and growing smoothly, less branched. In Western Georgia Matures 15 – 20 July and Eastern 5-10 August. 1 Bush gives an average of 4 – 4,5 kg of crop. Husks nut 1.5 times more fruit and has the shape of a heart. The fruit has a shape of a cylinder and larger than the average size, the caliber of 15-25. Shell’s thickness 0.8 mm, output kernel 52 – 53%. Taste like almonds, fat 68 – 70%. Inquire Us NOW
– this variety, it is distributed throughout Megrelia, as well as in Ozurgeti, Chokhatauri Lanchkhumiregions of Western Georgia. This sort of positive effect humid subtropical climate. With regard to the Eastern part of Georgia, this variety is distributed in Gori, Mtskheta and Lagodekhi. In Western Georgia, it ripens in the middle of July, in the Eastern part in the middle of August. The husk of the same size, and the fruit itself, or slightly less. Reaching maturity, the shuck is easy to get away with nut. The form of the fetal long at the base of the little wide, is characterized by reddish-brown tint. The hazelnut has a size 16 to 24, weight 2,2 – 2,5 gr. Heartwood is yellow, fills the shell, the thickness of which amounts to 0.9 mm Output kernel 54 – 56%, fat content of 63 – 65%. Inquire Us NOW
– this variety spoken in regions of Guria, Adjara, Samegrelo and Lagodekhi. Husk-piece, size 2 times higher and ripeness is easily removed. The weight of the same walnut 2,0 – 2,5 was beautiful, flat shape and eye-catching color, broad-based, eggshell thin and dark brown. Ripens in the middle of July. In highland conditions 1 Bush gives 5,0 – 5,5 kg Output kernel 46 – 48%, fat 65-68%. Inquire Us NOW
– distributed mainly in Guria (Ozurgeti), in Megrelia and in Lagodekhi. Ripens in the middle of August. Husks nut whole, in ripeness well removed, the fruit of the longer form the basis of wide, yellowish, eggshell thin, 0,6 – 0,8 mm Output kernel 50 – 52%, fat 68 – 70%. Inquire Us NOW